Sprung

Thursday, September 1, 2011

The BEST pumpkin bread!! (And it's vegan)

Okay, so my husband and I recently met some sweet new neighbors, and we invited them over for dinner.  They told me that they were vegan, so I had to really be conscious of what was in the things I was cooking to eat!  I really got stumped when I got to dessert.  I didn't want to be too boring and serve sliced strawberries or canned peaches or something equally lame, so I was excited when I found a recipe for vegan pumpkin bread.

I consider myself a conisseur of pumpkin breads and this one (even being vegan and all) was EASILY the tastiest ever!  Here's the recipe, which I found on allrecipes.com

Ingredients:

1 c. chopped walnuts  (I only used 1/2 cup, and wished I had bought more!)
3.5 c. all-purpose flour
2 c. packed dark brown sugar
2/3 c. white sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1.5 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 c. pumpkin puree (I used Libby's canned pumpkin and it turned out delish - it came out to maybe 1.5 cans)
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
2/3 c. coconut milk (NOT coconut water!)
2/3 c. flaked coconut

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and flour two 8"x4" loaf pans.  (I used Pam for baking instead of greasing and flouring and I could only find 9"x5" loaf pans - both worked great)

2.  Toast walnuts if you want for 5-10 minutes in the oven (I didn't do this part)

3.  In a large bowl, stir together the flour, brown sugar, white sugar, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.

4.  Add pumpkin puree, oil, applesauce and coconut milk to the dry ingredients.  Mix til all the flour is absorbed. 

5.  Fold in the flaked coconut and walnuts.

6.  Divide the batter evenly between your prepared pans and put into the oven.

7.  Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes in the preheated oven (or until a knife in the middle comes out clean - you know the drill).

8.  NOW HERE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART!!!!!!!  After the loaves are baked and the knife comes out clean, remove the loaves from the oven and cover them TIGHTLY with aluminum foil.  Let the loaves steam for 10 minutes!  After 10 min., remove the foil and turn the loaves out onto a cooling rack.  Tent them loosely with the foil now, and let them cool.

9.  EAT!!!  (And don't tell people they're vegan.  Seriously.  It really scares people for some unknown reason.  They are delicious!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment